Prior to our client kick-off meeting we did substantial competitive research. The agency had done work for a business that made clinic management software for audiologists. So we knew the business needs and subject matter very well. We were also aware that customers were dealing with a sensitive and personal challenge in needing a hearing aid.
After talking with several client contacts who dealt directly with customers, we were able to create five personas that encompassed the people that came to their sight and storefronts. Patients generally fell into two categories: either they accepted their need for a hearing aid or they didn’t. Influencers for these patients were another set of personas. The last were hearing professionals looking for information.
We suggested serving different content to the different personas to better target their emotions and needs. The client liked the idea a lot, so next I tried to figure out how to do serve up different content based on persona.
I decided to create a flexible site structure. So users could get pages of content based on how they felt about their hearing aid needs. Professionals got their own entry point. I worked closely with the designer to brainstorm ways we could have the users self-select. With a plan for the UI, I worked on representing a mutable sitemap.